Monday, July 16, 2007

Day 1 in Cape Town

After a much-needed good night's sleep, I awoke and watched the sun rise over Table Mountain from the breakfast den of my hostel. It was a gorgeous morning, with bright blue skies and not a cloud in sight - I couldn't have asked for a better day!

A few hours later I was greeted by Marcellino, or "Mac"(pronounced Mas), who is a regional director for loveLife. A self-proclaimed metrosexual, Marc is a very interesting man and right away we were having discussions about race, culture, and Apartheid - all before I had had my morning coffee! Marc explained that in South Africa there are three races: Black, Colored, and Afrikaan (or white). Essentially, the Black community consists of those who are entirely Black. These families maintain the traditions and cultures of their ancestors unlike the Colored communities which consist of any non-Whites, and who have adopted a Western way of life. Marc is considered colored because he is light skinned and has some Dutch heritage. He explained how people in South Africa are still getting used to racial integration and for me to be prepared for people to stare at us, a white woman walking around with a colored man.

Marc took me to see the loveTrain, which is painted in hues of purple, pink, orange, and green. Jackie, the one trainer on board currently gave me a tour of the broadcast studio on the train from which the groundBreakers transmit radio programs for the rural communities on sexual health and HIV prevention. The train is also equipped with a new computer learning center in which loveLife hopes to offer computer training skills to teenagers in the rural communities as well. When I join the train on Friday, I will be working with the loveLife trainers in the Piet Retief to sustain loveLife's message and offer sexual health counseling to the local teenagers.

Next, Marc and I went to visit the Y-Center in Langa, the oldest township in Cape Town. He first drove me through Langa which is a black township, consisting of lean-tos created from cardboard and plywood. Street merchants were selling boiled sheep's head and men were lined up on the street corner in their folding chairs sharing beers. The townships have a strong sense of community and "banga" (I'm not positive on the spelling on this word) which is the idea that your child is my child. The black communities in South Africa, unlike the colored communities and the Afrikaaners, consider themselves all a part of one family and they do everything for each other, not for themselves. The Y-center in Langa is extremely popular and was filled with kids playing pool, shuffle board, basketball, etc. Niki, a boistrous groundBreaker, was broadcasting a radio program when we arrived. The Y-center in Langa is a safe-haven for these teenagers to come and hang-out, learn skills, and be off the streets. I was inspired by the groundBreakers I met today. They are all very full of life and want nothing more than to make a difference for others as well as for themselves.

I could go on and on about what I learned today but my time is about up. Cape Town is a gorgeous city. It is extremely green and the mountains cascade into the city center with the ocean just beyond. Antelopes and Zebras inhabit any green space around the city and can be seen on the open spaces on the side the highways. Anyway, I must be off because my internet card has expired but I am looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments: